Congratulations on your scholarship! The GHC scholarship program is competitive and you should feel proud of your selection into the 2017 cohort. Make sure you complete these next steps to ensure your attendance at GHC is a success.
Your Scholarship Grant
For both students and faculty, the GHC Scholarship includes:
- Conference registration
- Travel to/from GHC
- Prepaid meal card
- Hotel accommodations
- Stipend — You will receive a debit card when you pick up your conference badge at the the Scholar Registration window. You will have to provide ID to receive your stipend, so come prepared.
- Domestic scholars from within the U.S. will receive a debit card for $300.
- International scholars traveling from outside the U.S. will receive a debit card for $500.
When used wisely, the stipend will cover:
- Transportation to/from the airport
- Meals on travel days
- Other incidental travel costs
Next Steps: Complete “Stage 2” of Your Application
After you receive your scholarship acceptance email, please log into your application and accept or decline your scholarship by the date specified in the email.
- Log into your application.
- Click on your To Do List and access your Stage 2 application.
- Complete Stage 2 questions, including uploading your profile picture and requests for services at GHC such as child care and hotel accommodations.
- Save & submit.
The Anita Borg Institute will register you for GHC by July 19, 2017. Once you get your emailed registration confirmation, you can update your profile with any changes that may have occurred since you applied.
Important note for scholars: the U.S. government may consider the GHC Scholarship taxable income. We advise scholarship recipients to retain any receipts related to conference travel (e.g. baggage fees, transportation to and from airports, meal expenses) in case you need them for tax reporting purposes. You can find more information here.
Plan Your Travel
To get the full GHC experience, we recommend arriving in Orlando Tuesday, October 3 and departing Saturday, October 7, 2017.
Starting this year, the Anita Borg Institute has contracted Corporate Traveler to make your travel arrangements to GHC! We will directly receive and pay your bill for your flight/train/bus. We will send more information in July regarding how to book your travel, and you can plan on doing so August 1 through August 15, 2017.
Corporate Traveler will receive your information from the Stage 2 application and will be ready to assist you in booking your travel for GHC. Look for the email in July with more information on how to contact Corporate Traveler!
If you are an International Scholar, you must have your visa prior to booking your travel, so make your visa appointment immediately to start the process!
Please note that we will not make extra night arrangements for you. Scholarship recipients are responsible for additional fees for any extra nights.
Get Your Visa – International Scholars
Some scholars living outside the U.S. need to apply for a visa to attend GHC. If you require one, please apply as early as possible as it may take two to three months to receive a visa. We will provide those who accepted their scholarship with a letter for their application, but cannot offer any additional assistance. Please contact GHCScholarshipContact@anitaborg.org to request a visa letter. For more information, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
Plan for Your Hotel
We book hotel rooms for all scholarship recipients for the nights of October 3-6, 2017 (four nights, check in October 3 and check out October 7).
Student scholars will share a room with one other GHC Scholarship recipient. If you are bringing your child with you to GHC and can provide proof of travel for that child, you may request a single room.
Faculty scholars are assigned single rooms with no roommates.
If you wish to stay additional nights, we highly recommend using Orchid as they are the GHC experts on accommodations. For more information, please contact
GHCHousing@orchideventsolutions.com. Please note that we will not make these arrangements for you, and that scholarship recipients are responsible for additional fees for any extra nights.
Submit Your Resume
Prepare a resume and submit it to the GHC 17 Resume Database. Sponsors will access resumes prior to GHC and may contact you for in person interviews during GHC. Also be sure to bring hard copies along with you to GHC.
Join Our Communities
There are lots of opportunities to connect with each other and the Anita Borg Institute community at large before meeting up in Orlando. Here are some of our suggestions:
- We will begin inviting GHC 17 Scholars to join our GHC Scholars Facebook Group (a closed group) in June. Attending GHC is a great opportunity to expand your professional network, especially if you start making connections before the conference. You must accept your scholarship before joining the group. We will verify that we have selected you as a scholar prior to accepting your request. If your Facebook name is different than the name you applied under, please send a private message so we can verify your eligibility to join this group. We provide a lot of information to scholars through our Facebook page.
- Connect, follow, and share with us on your favorite social network.
- Sign up for Systers, the world’s largest email community of technical women in computing, or ABI.Local, a network of locally organized communities that bring women technologists together in cities around the world.
- Subscribe to the Anita Borg Institute newsletter to receive conference updates by email.
If you have other questions, please email us. We look forward to meeting you in Orlando!